Marmot is a famous American outdoor brand with a long history of producing high-quality outdoor gear, including jackets, clothing, tents, sleeping bags, and backpacks. Its products are known for their durability, functionality, and performance in a wide range of outdoor activities.
In addition, the brand is strongly committed to sustainability and ethical manufacturing practices, using eco-friendly materials and production methods, and ensuring that its suppliers meet high ethical standards.
Marmot also has a reputation for innovation and introducing new technologies to the outdoor gear market. For example, it was one of the first outdoor gear companies to use Gore-Tex fabric technology in its products.
With all these characteristics, it’s no wonder that Marmot has created a strong following among outdoor enthusiasts and adventurers who trust the brand’s products to perform well in challenging environments.
But you already knew all this, no? That’s why you landed on this article! To learn if there are other brands similar to Marmot in terms of quality.
And the answer is “Yes, there are!”. In this article, we have researched and picked 8 brands like Marmot, so you can have even more outdoor gear options. Let’s take a look!
- 1. The North Face
- 2. Patagonia
- 3. Arc’teryx
- 4. Columbia
- 5. Black Diamond Equipment
- 6. Mountain Hardwear
- 7. Mammut
- 8. Rab
1. The North Face
The North Face official website
The North Face, an American brand, was established in 1966 by Douglas Tompkins and his wife Susie Tompkins Buell in San Francisco, California. The brand’s logo is a stylized depiction of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park, California.
Since 2000, The North Face has been a part of VF Corporation, which owns a variety of other outdoor brands. The company offers a wide range of products for various outdoor activities, including winter down parkas, school or hiking backpacks, and hiking shoes.
The North Face has introduced several fabric technologies over the years, such as DryVent and Thermoball, which are waterproof/breathable fabric and synthetic insulation that mimics natural down, respectively.
While The North Face is generally considered a high-end brand, it does offer some affordable items in its collections. In recent years, the brand has taken significant steps towards sustainability by reducing its environmental impact and using recycled materials.
Must read: Are The North Face Jackets Worth The Price? Why Are They So Expensive?
- The North Face Thermoball Jacket – a lightweight and packable synthetic insulated jacket that provides warmth even when wet.
- The North Face Recon Backpack – a versatile and durable backpack designed for both outdoor and urban use, featuring a padded laptop sleeve and multiple pockets for organization.
10 Outdoor Brands like The North Face that You’ll Love
Marmot vs The North Face: Which Brand is Better?
Patagonia official website – Women’s insulated jackets
Patagonia, a popular outdoor brand hailing from Ventura, California, USA, was established in 1973 by Yvon Chouinard, a rock climber. The brand is known for its minimalist designs and dedication to environmental sustainability.
Patagonia offers a comprehensive range of outdoor wear in its collections, including jackets, pants, backpacks, T-shirts, and hoodies for men, women, and children.
Originally created for outdoor experts, Patagonia also uses technical fabrics like H2No and Gore-Tex, which are waterproof and breathable membranes.
Although Patagonia’s products are generally considered expensive, many of its customers attest to their high performance. If you’re interested in learning more about Patagonia’s pricing, we’ve discussed it here.
- Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket – a lightweight and packable synthetic insulated jacket that provides warmth and wind protection, made with recycled materials. (learn more: Patagonia Nano Puff vs The North Face Thermoball Jacket: A Comparison)
- Patagonia Black Hole Duffel – a durable and water-resistant duffel bag made with recycled materials, featuring multiple handles and straps for easy carrying and organization.
10 Outdoor Brands like Patagonia that You’ll Definitely Like
Patagonia vs Marmot: Which Brand is Better?
Established in 1991 in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, Arc’teryx draws inspiration from the Canadian Coast Mountains where the company also tests its products.
The brand is known for its precise design, innovation, and commitment to sustainability, making it a popular choice in the outdoor industry. Arc’teryx offers streamlined and modern jacket designs for mountaineering, skiing, and winter sports.
While the brand’s products are expensive, they are also of high quality. For more information about their pricing, we’ve discussed it in detail here.
- Arc’teryx Alpha SV Jacket – This is a high-performance jacket designed for extreme weather conditions. It is made with durable, waterproof, and breathable GORE-TEX Pro fabric and features a helmet-compatible hood, pit zips for ventilation, and multiple pockets for storage.
- Arc’teryx Atom LT Jacket – This is a versatile and lightweight jacket designed for outdoor activities. It is made with breathable and wind-resistant fabric and features Coreloft insulation for warmth, a mid-height collar, and stretchy cuffs for a comfortable fit.
8 Quality Brands like Arc’teryx: Our Top Picks
Arc’teryx vs Marmot: Which Brand is Better?
Columbia Sportswear official website
Columbia Sportswear, or simply Columbia, was established in 1938 by a family who fled Germany and settled in Portland, Oregon. Despite its worldwide presence, Columbia has always maintained its identity as a small family business.
The brand offers a comprehensive range of outdoor products, and its popularity has grown over the years due in part to its affordable prices, which cater to every budget.
Columbia is not far behind the other brands in this list in terms of materials and technologies, having introduced a wide range of technologies over the years. For example, their Omni-Tech fabric is waterproof and breathable, while their thermal reflective systems used in winter jackets are both interesting and effective.
Overall, Columbia is an excellent alternative to Marmot, offering similar quality products at lower prices.
- Columbia Arcadia II Rain Jacket – a waterproof and breathable rain jacket made with Columbia’s Omni-Tech technology, featuring an adjustable hood and zippered pockets for convenience.
- Columbia Redmond Hiking Shoes – a versatile and durable hiking shoe made with leather and mesh materials, featuring Columbia’s Omni-Grip technology for traction on various surfaces.
9 Outdoor Brands like Columbia that We Love and Why
Marmot vs Columbia: A Comparison
5. Black Diamond Equipment
Black Diamond Equipment official website
Black Diamond Equipment is renowned for manufacturing specialized sports equipment for skiing, mountaineering, and climbing. Established in the United States in 1989, the company has since gained wide recognition for its high-quality products.
Its camping tents for example are highly durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions, providing excellent protection against the cold, wind, and rain.
- Black Diamond First Light Stretch Hoody – This is a lightweight and packable jacket designed for cold-weather activities like skiing and mountaineering. It features PrimaLoft Silver Active insulation for warmth, a stretchy and breathable shell fabric, and a helmet-compatible hood.
- Black Diamond Fitzroy Tent – This is a mountaineering tent with a strong and durable four-pole design, and a ToddTex single-wall fabric.
You’ll also like: 9 Mountaineering Jacket and Clothing Brands: Our Favorites
6. Mountain Hardwear
Mountain Hardwear official website
Mountain Hardwear was established in 1993 in California by a group of professionals who previously worked for Sierra Designs.
Ed Viesturs, the first American athlete to ascend fourteen 8,000-meter mountains, played a significant role in the company’s success by sponsoring it. Mountain Hardwear has continued to engage with mountain climbers and athletes due to his accomplishments.
In 2003, Columbia Sportswear acquired the company, and the first Mountain Hardwear store opened in Portland, Oregon in 2008, followed by another in Seattle the same year.
Today, Mountain Hardwear is well-known for its mountaineering equipment, high-quality materials, and innovative technologies. Although some products can exceed $300, the brand also offers more affordable options.
- Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket – This is a lightweight and compressible jacket that is designed for cold weather. It is made with 800 fill power RDS-certified down insulation and features a durable and water-resistant shell, a slim fit design, and zippered hand pockets.
- Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 Tent – This is a high-performance tent that is designed for extreme weather conditions. It is made with resistant and waterproof materials and features a stable frame and a spacious interior.
Read also: Mountain Hardwear vs Patagonia Outdoor Gear: A Comparison
Mammut official website
Mammut, a Swiss brand with a history of over 100 years, began as a rope manufacturer in 1862 thanks to Kaspar Tanner. Today, it has grown into a global outdoor brand offering products for mountaineering, climbing, and hiking, including footwear, clothing, and equipment.
Along with technical gear, Mammut also offers casual products suitable for city wear. While the products are on the expensive side, they feature the latest technologies and have great designs while performing well.
- Mammut Eiger Speed ML Hybrid Hooded Jacket – a technical and durable jacket designed for mountaineering, trail running, and ski touring.
- Mammut Nordwand Pro Gloves – a technical and warm glove designed for mountaineering and skiing, featuring Gore-Tex Grip and PrimaLoft Gold insulation for water resistance and protection, and a pre-shaped design for optimal grip and dexterity.
Must read: Marmot vs Mammut: Which Brand is Better?
Rab official website
Moving on to a UK-based brand, RAB was established in 1981 by Rab Carrington in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. Carrington, an experienced climber with considerable mountaineering experience, initially created a sleeping bag that quickly gained popularity among the local mountaineering community.
Currently, the brand provides a diverse selection of top-notch mountain products for both men and women, including jackets, clothing, backpacks, sleeping bags, and accessories.
Although RAB’s products may be pricey, they are renowned for their exceptional quality and superior performance and have many loyal customers around the world.
- RAB Microlight Alpine Jacket – This is a lightweight and versatile jacket that is designed for cold weather conditions. It is made with Pertex Quantum nylon fabric and features 700 fill power down insulation, and an adjustable hood.
- RAB Ascent 900 Sleeping Bag – This is a high-performance sleeping bag that is designed for extreme weather conditions. It’s made with durable and windproof Pertex Quantum fabric and features 650 fill power down insulation, and a trapezoidal boxwall construction for warmth.